⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] metadata for regularly spaced data and averages

From: Ateljevich, Eli_at_DWR <Eli.Ateljevich>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 21:42:35 +0000

I have data that are recorded hourly after sampling the previous hour. The original sampling rate is high, but in some cases not provided so it doesn't tend to make it into the metadata.

I can represent the hourly average with cell_methods and time_bnds, but it is painful for two reasons:
1. It costs some storage overhead in simple cases because the bounds are obvious.
2. The fact that it is regularly sampled is part of the station design. Here, I have to infer two things: (regular reporting interval and relative position of timestamp from time_bnds). The first one in particular is not a comment to me.

I can certainly see the lack of generality creeping looming, but this is such an important special case. Is there no common shorthand or possibly something I could at least do in *addition* to the cell_bounds. Am I missing a long conversation on this?

Obviously my question extends to any regular sampling geometries, I just picked a simple one in 1D.
Thanks,
Eli