⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of cf_role attribute

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 10:05:17 -0400

Ros,

I second that.

Jim

On 7/20/18 9:13 AM, David Hassell wrote:
> Hello Ros,
>
> Thanks for describing this defect, and I support your fix.
>
> All the best,
>
> David
>
> On 19 July 2018 at 14:37, Rosalyn Hatcher <r.s.hatcher at reading.ac.uk
> <mailto:r.s.hatcher at reading.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've noticed some ambiguity in the CF document around the use of
> the "cf_role" attribute which I think needs clarification.
>
> In Appendix A it states that the *cf_role* attribute is valid for
> use on a coordinate variable only, however, in virtually, if not
> all, the examples in Appendix H cf_role is not attached to a
> coordinate variable.
> E.g. H.2
>
> dimensions:
> ? station = 10 ; ?// measurement locations
> ? time = UNLIMITED ;
> variables:
> ? float humidity(station,time) ;
> ? ? humidity:standard_name = "specific humidity" ;
> ? ? humidity:coordinates = "lat lon alt" ;
> ? double time(time) ;
> ? ? time:standard_name = "time";
> ? ? time:long_name = "time of measurement" ;
> ? ? time:units = "days since 1970-01-01 00:00:00" ;
> ? float lon(station) ;
> ? ? lon:standard_name = "longitude";
> ? ? lon:long_name = "station longitude";
> ? ? lon:units = "degrees_east";
> ? float lat(station) ;
> ? ? lat:standard_name = "latitude";
> ? ? lat:long_name = "station latitude" ;
> ? ? lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
> ? float alt(station) ;
> ? ? alt:long_name = "vertical distance above the surface" ;
> ? ? alt:standard_name = "height" ;
> ? ? alt:units = "m";
> ? ? alt:positive = "up";
> ? ? alt:axis = "Z";
> ? char station_name(station, name_strlen) ;
> ? ? station_name:long_name = "station name" ;
> ? ? station_name:cf_role = "timeseries_id";
> attributes:
> ? ? :featureType = "timeSeries";
>
> I think the cf_role variable "station_name" should be named by the
> coordinates attribute for humidity.
>
> Moreover, section 9.5 in the conventions document, 2nd paragraph,
> it should say "Where feasible a coordinate or auxiliary coordinate
> variable with the attribute cf_role should be included."
>
> Assuming there are no objections I'll raise a defect ticket when
> Trac is back.
>
> Regards,
> Ros.

> --
> David Hassell
> National Centre for Atmospheric Science
> Department of Meteorology, University of Reading,
> Earley Gate, PO Box 243, Reading RG6 6BB
> Tel: +44 118 3785183
> http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /