⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Uncertainties Standard

From: Kenneth Kehoe <kkehoe>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:58:45 -0600

Dear CF,

After attending the CF Workshop in Reading last month and presenting the
uncertainties standard we have come up with a different proposal. There
was concern with adding new reserved attributes instead of extending the
use of existing attributes. I've updated the proposal in a new Google
Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UR0flhrEE3yw_3dKW8NpCrGymLt9idwFXJBhZ5ngX3Y/edit?usp=sharing>.
Please feel free to comment or make suggestions to this new proposal.

If you don't want to read the short six pages here are the highlights:

  * Uncertainties are written as a separate variable
  * Will add three new standard name modifiers: total_uncertainty,
    random_uncertainty, systematic_uncertainty
  * Will deprecate current standard name modifier: standard_error
  * Will add three new descriptors to cell_methods: standard_error,
    confidence_interval, other_than_statistical_analysis (adding more is
    an option)
  * Will link the uncertainty variable to the data variable with
    ancillary_variables (required)
  * Will provide additional information with "references" variable
    attribute (optional)

Thanks,

Ken