⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for altimeter data

From: Tom Gross <Tom.Gross>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:34:16 -0400

I may not have a CF compliant thinking process here, but I see little, if any, difference in the need of an offset reference attribute verses the need of a units attribute. The units attribute is often a multiplier between equivalent descriptions, while the reference is an additive difference between equivalent descriptions.

Maybe the existence of the needed metadata attribute is the only thing needed to be encoded into the standard name, like:

On the other hand, we could also take advantage of the situation by
introducing some new standard names, more general, like
"sea_surface_height_above_reference_surface" and
"sea_surface_height_above_reference_profile", that would include all sea
surface height kinds of parameters, and all the reference datums?

Which could imply the existence of the attribute "reference_surface" or
"reference_profile"
or more simply "reference".

If a person wanted to specify his sea surface height without a reference
datum I suppose that they could use a name like "sea_surface_height"
with no reference, but they might as well also leave out the units
attribute for feet or meters, for all the good such a piece of
incomplete data would be. (OK, a bit harsh, but true.)

Tom Gross