⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Precipitation query

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:13:33 -0400

Hi Roy -

> in what circumstance would 'lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount' be
> used? Surely there is always a period of time over which the
> thickness has accrued.

Most "standard" rain gauges just measure the level of liquid in a
cylinder.
Our "raw" data files have this parameter, which is just the level read at
the time of sampling. No rate and no elapsed time is involved. We calculate
the rate after cleaning up the level.

Since this instrument has reported the rainfall over a period of time,
it would
seem representing it as a rate would be much more straightforward than
calling it a thickness.

- Nan

* Nan Galbraith            Upper Ocean Processes Group       *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Woods Hole, MA 02540  *
* http://uop.whoi.edu      (508) 289-2444                    *