⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] RE: Geyer and Ruane standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:06:32 +0100

> For consistency with the surface stress names I think we should call these:
> atmosphere_downward_eastward_stress_due_to_diffusion; Pa
> atmosphere_downward_northward_stress_due_to_diffusion; Pa

I wonder what this means, precisely. It could be the force (per unit area)
experienced by a layer. In that case the name should indicate it applies to a
layer, I suppose, and the quantity is the difference between the vertical
flux of E|N momentum through the upper and lower surfaces. It wouldn't need
to say upward or downward in that case, as it's a kind of divergence. On the
other hand, it could mean the momentum flux through a level, and in that it
does need to specify up|downward, as you say. Jonathan