⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name.xml

From: Luis Bermudez <bermudez>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:52:51 -0700

Hi John,

On Apr 6, 2006, at 3:29 PM, John Caron wrote:

> Hi Luis:
>
> Luis Bermudez wrote:
>> Dear Roy and John,
>> There are a lot of issues when we want to perform mappings between
>> vocabularies that are continuously evolving, for example GCMD, CF
>> and BODC. OWL is a very good mechanism to express mappings, but
>> the vocabularies are not originally in OWL. This is the reason
>> that we have some tools at MMI to do an automatic conversion of
>> this vocabularies to OWL.
>
> So are you harvesting the CF at http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/
> cf-metadata/standard_name.xml and converting to http://
> marinemetadata.org/2005/02/cf, or ?

Yes

>> That way we have them all harmonized (expressed in the same
>> language/format) and we can resolve semantic heterogeneities in a
>> better fashion.
>
> Can you explain what tools are needed to make these translation (or
> point me to some URL)? Do you need an OWL reasoning engine or can
> something simpler be used? Are there any working examples?

No, you don't need any reasoning engine to create the ontologies. I
use http://marinemetadata.org/examples/mmihostedwork/ontologieswork/
voc2owl.

> What does the OWL need to look like? Are the files at:
>
> http://marinemetadata.org/2005/02/cf
> http://marinemetadata.org/2005/02/gcmd
>
> examples of what is needed?

Yes; however. GCMD has problems they way is currently encoded, since
some of the variables can appear in one ore more hierarchy tree (as
explain by Roy in a previous email). We have to find how to deal with
this issue.

>> I just make publicly available the plan of a strategy we have in
>> mind at MMI. It is here:
>> http://marinemetadata.org/examples/mmihostedwork/ontologieswork/
>> watchdogstrategy/strategyt I have made some tests and look at a
>> more concrete framework to allow the representation and mapping of
>> these terms by using SKOS : http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/.
>> John and Roy, maybe we can talk in more detail what are your ideas
>> and make a plan to move this forward. I'll be glad to know if the
>> MMI strategy sounds reasonable and if more people are interested
>> in participating.
>
> I would be happy to fit my efforts into your larger efforts, if
> possible. I will neeed to understand the requirements better,
> before I know for sure.

I think we can start with CF and GCMD, not worrying at the moment
about their continuous changing. Concrete actions:
- Agree on the properties that relate both of them. In the MMI
workshop we used : narrowerThan, sameAs and broaderThan
- Have a updated version of CF and GCMD in an ontology.
- Think what is the best way to solve the GCMD- hierarchy problem
- Start doing the mappings. We can use VINE for that purpose http://
marinemetadata.org/examples/mmihostedwork/ontologieswork/vine
-publish the mappings.

-Then of course we would like to make this a little bit more
operational, like having a real time representation of CF and GCMD
keywords in an ontology as well as their mappings.

Best Regards.

Luis