⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF convention for vector quantities

From: Bert Jagers <Bert.Jagers>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:41:34 +0100

Hi Bryan,
Hi everybody,

I had not anticipated such a discussion on this topic. In my original post I
had left the direction of the final proposal to the CF community. At that
time I mentioned three possible approaches: 1a) dummy quantity that refers
to its components, 1b) reference to other components via attributes, and 2)
standard prefixes. The discussion has made clear that the option 2 is
definitely not the way to go. However, I am not sure whether the preferred
approach is to go for:

* as 1a): an additional dummy variable of some type "vector" (or tensor)
that refers to its components.
* or 1b): an attribute associated with each component that refers to the
other components.

Are there any existing extensions or proposals that I should check for the
proposal? Anything related to virtual or multiple related files, or order of
components (Z Y X)?

Best regards,

Bert