⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] accessory parameters

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:18:48 +0000

Hello Jonathan,

I agree that these are definitely not geophysical parameters, but are something that need labelling so that users of the data know exactly what they are and don't use them for the wrong purpose.

I have the following entries of this type:

Temperature of oxygen probe membrane
Temperature of pH determination
Temperature of pCO2 determination
Temperature of fluorometer sample by fluorometer temperature sensor
Temperature of conductivity measurement by thermosalinograph
Temperature of the instrument top of electronics tube by telemetry buoy systems monitor
Temperature of the instrument middle of electronics tube by telemetry buoy systems monitor
Temperature of the instrument bottom of electronics tube by telemetry buoy systems monitor

These are linked to their own Parameter Discovery Vocabulary terms ('Engineering parameters' or 'Metadata parameters') to prevent their discovery by a search for environmental parameters.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> 2/24/2006 1:43:06 pm >>>
Dear Roy

I see, thanks for that explanation. I agree this needs resolution, and in fact
it's an aspect of the general problem of giving names to things which are more
related to measurements and observational techniques, rather than geophysical
parameters which can be regarded as comparable across different methods of
observation and simulation - would you agree? The latter was the original
purpose of standard names. Nonetheless we already have standard names for
quantities that exist only in models and couldn't be measured because they
are abstractions or artefacts. It is therefore not inconsistent to have names
for quantities which can be measured but aren't parameters of the "real world"
i.e. they belong to the measurement, rather than being something measured.

Are these kinds of quantities for the ocean systematically named in your
dictionary?