⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] snow temperature

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:58:10 -0800

Dear all,

Actually, the standard name "surface_temperature" refers, I believe, to
the "skin" temperature at the interface between the atmosphere, and
whatever solid or liquid surface underlies it (i.e., sea ice, ocean,
snow, glacial ice, bare land, vegetated land, etc), so
surface_temperature and surface_temperature_where_snow would be
identical if an entire region were snow covered. If you have a
grid-cell (or a larger region) over which you want to characterize a
snow surface temperature, distinct from the temperature of the snow-free
  portion, then we do indeed need a new name.

I note that we define sea_surface_temperature, so that we can
characterize ocean surface temperature distinct from surface temperature
where there is seaice or land. Actually, I am not absolutely sure
whether sea_surface_temperature should be an average of the surface
temperature of the ocean only in areas where it is in direct contact
with the atmosphere, or if the surface of the ocean under sea ice
(presumably at the freezing point) should also contribute. I would vote
for the first definition.

regards,
Karl