⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] lake standard names

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:36:43 +0000

Burkhard/Jonathan

I don't see a problem with having standard names classifying the type of a unit of earth surface area. The problem comes when other phenomena are attached to such a classification through the standard name, especially when the boundaries between classes are diffuse (e.g. observational temperature transect from sea to estuary to river to lake).

It strikes me that there are other 'planet surface classes' that may be required by future GCMs (forest, desert etc.). Other domains (such as the LandSat community) must already have vocabularies
with defined terms set up for these that we could possibly adopt.
Anyone come across anything?

Cheers, Roy.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do
not represent the views of NERC unless otherwise explicitly stated. The
information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is
legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and your
reply cannot be guaranteed.

>>> Burkhardt Rockel <Burkhardt.Rockel at gkss.de> 11/04/05 1:13 PM >>>
Hi Roy and Jonathan,

using "sea" instead of "lake" would be fine with me. There is the
long name anyway that I can use for further description.
However, I need at least one parameter that contains information how
to distinguish between ocean and lake in a gridbox. The model needs
to know for which grid box the lake subroutine should be switched
on. Can we introduce a parameter called "lake_area_fraction" analogue
to "sea_area_fraction" and "land_area_fraction"? Or do ypu have any
other Idea how to distinguish between ocean and lake grid boxes?

By the way, what is the difference between "sea" and "ocean". When
should I use "ocean" and when "sea" for standard_names?

Regards
Burkhardt

Dr. Burkhardt Rockel
GKSS Forschungszentrum