⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Chaotic Proposed Standard Name

From: Godin, Michael <Godin>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:33:16 -0700

Hello Jonathan,

Please believe me that I am not trying to win the award for most esoteric standard variable. My specific application of Lyapunov exponents is in finding Lagrangian coherent structures in coastal ocean flows, which shed some light on mixing, chlorophyll transport, and the life-cycle of phytoplankton.

In atmospheric studies, I believe that Lagrangian coherent structures are used in analyzing passive tracer dynamics, and in understanding the dynamics of multiple vortice flow.

Links to more information are here:
http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~marsden/academics/lectures/2005/pdf/2005-07-12_vonNeuman.pdf
http://www.lekien.com/~francois/papers/qLCS/

Mike