⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Re: standard names to be added on 3rd Oct

From: Pepe S. D. Juevara <sdj>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:08:53 +0200

Dear Jonathan and Michael,

Thank you very much, please find below my comments and suggestions regarding
the Standard Names to give to some of the Optical Properties:

Lw: Water Leaving Radiance:
above_surface_spectral_radiance_leaving_the_sea_water: W m-2 m-1 sr-1
above_surface_radiance_leaving_the_sea_water: W m-2 sr-1

The change is necessary as the term 'upwelling' you suggested refers to 'Lu'
rather than to 'Lw'.

Kd: Diffuse Attenuation Coefficient
volume_attenuation_coefficient_of_downward_irradiance_in_sea_water: m-1

What Michael proposes is in oceanography referred to as "C", "Beam Attenuation
Coefficient" which is an inherent optical property and is not the same quantity
as Kd.
I would therefore propose two different Standard Names, Kd as above and:
C: Beam Attenuation Coefficient
beam_attenuation_coefficient_of_downward_irradiance_in_sea_water

CDOM: OK with your suggestion
TSM: OK with your suggestion
Alpha: OK with your suggestion

I look foward to your comments.