⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] platform standard names

From: Godin, Michael <Godin>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:49:04 -0700

Hello Jonathan,

Looking back, I see that I actually started this platform thread, so I suppose I should try to push it along...

I agree with omitting platform_longitude, platform_latitude, and the "true" and "indicated" designators.

I agree with including:
platform_speed_wrt_ground ("ground speed") (m s-1)
platform_speed_wrt_air ("air speed") (m s-1)
platform_speed_wrt_sea_water ("water speed") (m s-1)
platform_pitch_angle (degree)
platform_roll_angle (degree)
platform_pitch_rate (degree s-1)
platform_roll_rate (degree s-1)
platform_orientation ("pointing direction") (degree)
platform_course ("travel direction") (degree)

The one case I can think of a yaw variable being useful and measurable is in the case of towfish, in which yaw is typically defined as the difference between orientation and course. I imagine there may be other similar useful situations, so I'd support adding the variables:
platform_yaw ("difference between orientation and course")(degree),
platform_yaw_rate (degree s-1)

So do we also want:
platform_orientation_rate (degree s-1)
platform_course_rate (degree s-1)

Also you asked:
>Is it usual to speak of ship ground speed i.e. relative to the solid
>Earth, even though no ground is evident?
The absolute ship speed variable that I am used to seeing is given as "SOG", which stands for "Speed Over Ground", so I'd have to say yes, it is usual.

Regards,
Mike