⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Re: Proposed Standard Names

From: Chris Webster <cjw>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:18:06 -0600

I like the idea that all variables regarding the platform are prefaced
with 'platform_', that alleviates Jonathans earlier confusion where he
didn't even realize [I think] that true_air_speed was that of the
aircraft and not the wind.

This leaves some inconsistency; latitude, longitude and altitude are not
appropriately prefaced. Maybe others also, I didn't review the list.

I like this list:

platform_ground_speed
platform_true_air_speed
platform_indicated_air_speed
platform_water_speed
platform_track_angle or platform_course
platform_heading_true

platform_pitch
platform_roll

do we want these suffixed with '_angle'? There is also potential for
platform_pitch_rate...

fwiw: Here are the inertial/platform variables we use the most:

LAT 5
LON 5
PITCH 50
ROLL 50
THDG 25 true heading
ALT 25 altitude
ACINS 50 vertical acceleration
VSPD 25 vertical speed
VNS 10 north-south component of ground speed
VEW 10 east-west " " " " "
TASX 25 true air speed (we compute this)

and to a lesser extent:

IAS indicated air speed.
TKAT track angle true.
GSF ground speed