⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Thoughts about CF future

From: Rich Signell <rsignell>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:11:23 -0400

While not dealing strictly with the CF standard itself, there are at least two
other issues related to the future of CF that need to be addressed, perhaps at
GO-ESSP.

One is the need for a more powerful CF discussion site where topics can be
followed and searched, new items easily viewed, and perhaps revisions
maintained. Sourceforge, Bugzilla, Wiki, Invision PowerBoard, have all been
suggested as possible vehicles, and Magnus Hagdorn even offered up a site on
NeSCForge (https://forge.nesc.ac.uk/projects/cf-doc/) that sounded like it could
work well.

Also it appears a new "benevolent dictator" or project lead for CF needs to be
identified. Brian Eaton wrote on Feb 24: "Since the release of CF-1.0 my job
responsibilities have changed substantially and I find that I no longer have the
time to devote to moving CF forward. As any benevolent dictator in my shoes
would do, I will step aside as the lead author as soon as someone else is ready
to assume that role. Until that time I will continue to maintain the CF home
page, making sure the links all work and so on."

I would also just like to express my thanks to Brian and the original CF
developers for seeing the need and volunteering their time and effort for the
common good. This has been a tremendous service to the atmospheric and ocean
science communities.

-Rich

--
Richard P. Signell
U.S. Geological Survey       Phone: (508) 457-2229