⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Thoughts about CF future

From: Stephens, A <A.Stephens>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:53:58 +0100

John,

Your comments are very useful to fuel the CF debate. I just wanted to pick up the station and trajectory data question, and to add radar data to that list. I think that CF is becoming (or being used as) the standard for lots of these data types because it is the best option, even if it is still lacking. As you say, CF's strength is really gridded data, but unless there are other standards out there that can encompass station, trajectory and radar data then I'd rather CF worked harder to understand and fully include these data types. We have a radar group in the UK who have all switched to NetCDF so drawing on experience such as theirs would be a sensible way forward. Perhaps we need a working group on each of these data types with some interactions that would ensure they didn't diverge too radically.

Kind regards,

Ag