⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF sub-tasking?

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:20:16 -0800

Hi All,

(Rich, will you be at the ESSP meeting?)

Bryan, you mentioned that you have some optimism that you can find support for 1/2
FTE. I'm hoping that we can find some NOAA support for this effort, too. More on
that below. Here's a straw man. Please tear into it:

   * The new FTE position would support the "document editor". The person's
     responsibility is to write the text that will actually appear in the final
     document and to moderate discussions. Like any editor there is a lot of real
     authority in this and it needs to be a knowledgeable, interested person.
   * We are working to make some NOAA funding available (can be spent outside of
     NOAA of course) to develop the software for a web site to support CF standards
     development. I propose the name "Standards Forge" for this software.
     Functionally it would borrow a lot from Bugzilla -- able to open issues,
     indicate severities of issues, track discussions, indicate linkages between
     issues, resolve (close) issues, moderate membership in discussions. The user
     interface could look completely different from Bugzilla. Versioning issues
     need to be addressed, too (borrowing from CVS?). The construction of this
     software could be "contracted out". (I can think of a few groups/individuals
     that could do it well just off the top of my head.)
   * Some organization would need to host the Standards Forge site. I'd like to
     lobby Unidata to take on this role -- as CF is a spin-off of netCDF. (Of
     course other institutions could install Standards Forge for their own purposes,
     too.) Hosting the site does not necessarily imply leadership in the technical
     discussions.
   * Rich's ideas about "subcommittees" would be in this. The (distributed)
     participants in the discussions could be grouped by large themes -- e.g.
     curvilinear model grids, unstructured model grids, GIS compatibility, standard
     name dictionary. The Standards Forge concept would support a hierarchy of
     topics/subtopics/issues (in Bugzilla there is a similar hierarchy of
     Products/Components/Bugs). The membership of the subcommittees would be
     published on the site. Membership needs to be "open", but with some thought
     given to rules for participation. The subcommittees would have the authority
     to resolve technical issues by consensus. The document editor would be a
     member of every subcommittee -- a start towards ensuring harmonization between
     subcommittees.
   * Versioning considerations need to include guidelines to ensure that all aspects
     of the standard(s) are tested in real-world code implementations before they
     become final. CF releases might remain "provisional" for a significant time
     while this occurred. They would nonetheless be available for use. (I'd argue
     that the current CF 1.0 should be regarded as "provisional" in this sense.
     Much of it has never been tested in applications that read the data.)

    - steve