⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cf futures (long)

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:56:06 -0700

Dear All,

I've been the lead author of the CF conventions since December 1999 when
Karl Taylor encouraged Jonathan Gregory, Bob Drach, and me to consider
merging the GDT and NCAR-CSM metadata conventions which were independent
extensions of the COARDS conventions. Not too long after that we were able
to entrain Steve Hankin into the discussions. This effort has never
received any official support, and consequently moved forward slowly, but
surely until the release of CF-1.0 in October of 2003.

Since then I'm afraid things have proceded even more slowly and less
surely. As Bryan pointed out in the subgrid variation thread there is no
CF-2.0 draft document that contains the proposals that have been discussed
and generally agreed on in this mail list over the past year. Since the
release of CF-1.0 my job responsibilities have changed substantially and I
find that I no longer have the time to devote to moving CF forward. As any
benevolent dictator in my shoes would do, I will step aside as the lead
author as soon as someone else is ready to assume that role. Until that
time I will continue to maintain the CF home page, making sure the links
all work and so on.

I'd like to thank Bryan for his efforts to move CF forward. I feel
confident that things are moving in a good direction and look forward to
participating in future discussions.

Sincerely,
Brian