⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] GIS issues

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:19:38 +0000

Hi Folks

... and finally a short response :-)

I think the key point is that CF can never be all-encompassing, as CF becomes
more successful, it will have to interoperate with more and more communities.
However, the GIS community is pretty important. We already have the climate
impact community asking for climate data in GIS formats, and that's why we
have a significant effort on extending GML for metocean data (see
http://ndg.nerc.ac.uk/csml). We've also invited an ESRI representative to the
GO-ESSP meeting in June ...

I think the approach of embedding GIS info in CF compliant netcdf files is the
way to go for now. A long term approach would of course be to move to GML
compliance within CF - but we can't do that because GML can't cope with
existing MetOcean data coordinate systems. But it is the obvious track that
we should proceed down (indeed, we're working on the GML extension issue as
well). At some time in the future GML will contain all the projection and
coordinate information we need, and then we can use it inside our CF files.

Which makes me wonder why we would use WKT instead of the XML version? While
we can use GDAL, it's generally much easier to parse this stuff in XML (which
is why XML exists). Why not embed the XML?

And from an epicycle point of view, we should then come up with a CF compliant
way of pointing to arbitrary external XML descriptions ... not just this one.

Bryan