⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed UTM projection

From: Richard P Signell <rsignell>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:53:19 -0500

John & CF-ers,

Since CF 1.0 doesn't have conventions for specifying the spheriod, let's
make sure they are there in the next release! We want GIS tools like
ArcGIS to get the geospatial information they needs from a CF-compliant
file without a user filling in extra metadata by hand.
That's what we are aiming for, right? This means we should have
conventions for specifying vertical datums (geoids) as well.

Check the bottom of this page <http://tinyurl.com/64mlx> for
an example of coordinate system specifation in WKT (Well Known Text) for a
3D compound coordinate system (using the Airy 1830 spheriod, Transverse
Mercator projection, and Newlyn vertical datum.)

BTW, if there are folks out there wondering what this fussing is about,
there is an excellent short guide to coordinate systems at
<http://www.gps.gov.uk/guide1.asp> which speaks plain english, but doesn't
dumb things down too much.

-Rich

Dr. Richard P. Signell rsignell at usgs.gov