⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Need for a new vertical coordinate definition:"Ocean generalized sigma coordinate"

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:49:31 -0800

Hi All,

This is mostly a "hold the train" message to indicate that this sounds important,
but I don't have time in my schedule to get fully engaged. Unfortunately, I'm
under the gun for some tight schedule, Christmas is around the corner, etc., etc.
So this is shoot-from-the-hip ...

As Rich says, getting this "right" is very important to the HYCOM modeling
community and others. Outputting the Z field as a 4-dimensional variable has nasty
consequences in file sizes, access demands, etc.

My gut sense is that we're conflating two issues here. One is the idea of
time-dependent sigma levels -- as are used in HYCOM. I have not been aware that we
were abusing the CF conventions by allowing the sigma levels to be time-dependent.
Doing so seemed to be completely in the spirit of CF and netCDF. (I haven't gone
back just now to review the actual words from the CF document.) No mods are
necessary; the time dimension is self-explanatory.

The second idea is of "generalized sigma coordinates", where sigma levels are a
fraction of (depth+eta). If one asserts (true?, false?) that such coordinate
systems represent a significant class of models, then there should be a serious
discussion of whether CF should support them. It **sounds** as if support would
require only the addition of a single attribute,

    sigma: fraction_of = depth
or
    sigma: fraction_of = depthPlusFreeSurface

    - steve