⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions for Unstructured Grid Data

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:06:29 -0800

Hi Rich, Tom, Jonathan,

I am offline at the moment (on "jury duty" ... or should I say "dreary
duty" as it
is all waiting ...) so do not have access to all of the on-line specs.
Please
forgive syntactic errors and other clutsy mistakes I will probably
intersperse ...

My comment is not on the specifics of the proper standard names or how
to encode
the starting index. It is on the more general outlook -- that the
approach we are discussing to encoding unstructured meshes in netCDF
seems in some important ways
inconsistent with the spirit behind the handling of coordinates in CF.
In CF we do
not standardize the names given to coordinate variables. Rather we
standardize the
attributes that create the associations between dependent variables and
their
coordinates: "coordinates =" and "bounds =". And we standardize units
and attributes
for axis orientation -- the semantics of the coordinate. For
unstructured meshes the
definition of the "grid" becomes more complex and requires additional
supporting
structures. So we need additional information creating the association
between
dependent variables and their underlying coordinates -- similar in
spirit to the
"coordinates =" and "bounds =". I wonder if, rather than standardizing
new
dependent variable names, "Horizontal_Triangular_Element_Incidence_List"
and
"Boundary_Segment_Node_List", we shouldn't be instead standardizing
attributes that
point to these:

e.g.
(1) Add the following **attributes** to CF:

    my_var: Horizontal_Triangular_Element_Incidence_List = "foo";
    my_var: Boundary_Segment_Node_List = "foo2";

The importance of this approach is that the coordinate system is a
property of the
dependent variable -- not a property of the file. Unstructured meshes,
curvilinear
grids, and rectilinear grids should be able to co-exist in the same
file.
Similarly, differing unstructured meshes should be able to co-exist
within the same
file. The use of a global attribute, ':grid_type = "Triangular" ;' and
standardized
names for coordinate variables will make this difficult to achieve, no?
(Ditto for
the "z_type" attribute as a global property of the file.)

    - steve