⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Units: absolute vs difference

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:31:11 -0700

All,

IMHO John's question is part of a broader issue in the construction of standard
parameter names -- the need for hierarchy. (I confess at the outset that these are
inchoate thoughts ... so this email is just to open the dialog.)

Looking at names like
  tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_diabatic_processes
  tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_dry_convection
  tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_large_scale_precipitation
we see how a single conceptual quantity, "tendency_of_air_temperature", has diverged
into many variables. Some important semantics have been lost in the process -- that
these variables are part of a family (terms in a "budget"). Simply knowing that the
variables share the same units is not a sufficient indication (to a machine) that it
is reasonable to allow these variables to be added together.

John's example is related. A "delta" of a quantity is still that same quantity, but
with some (possibly time/space dependent) offset removed. This kind of information
needs to be captured in a sophisticated naming scheme (but how best to do so?).

This email is more trouble than help, I know. But that seems to be the nature of
the beast.

    - steve