⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] omega

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:40:22 +0000

Dear All

We should also perhaps think about consistency with other D/Dt derivatives.
It is likely that we shall need a standard name for Dtheta/Dt, for instance.
This could be called Lagrangian derivative of potential temperature. I think
it would be a obscure to call it vertical velocity in isentropic coordinates
when we are not using those coordinates. What about D/Dt of density, potential
vorticity or moisture? Surely we should describe these quantities as Lagrangian
or material derivatives. Hence it could be argued for the sake of consistency
that we should use that terminology for all D/Dt quantities except any which
have a simple common name, such as the components of velocity D/Dt (x,y,z).

> it seems the issue is really one of name recognition.
I agree this is a good point. But would it be partly answered by providing a
search facility on descriptions?

> Hope it's not too late to change my vote :-)
That makes it 2-2. More votes welcome!

Cheers

Jonathan