⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] aliases

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:46:46 +0000

Dear Brian

> We've had plenty of requests from users for names of
> quantities that already existed in the table, so this is a real concern.
> It's mitigated in this instance by the fact that omega already exists in
> the table as an alias to whatever name we eventually decide on.

That's right, and it's really only an accident that this is so. The purpose
of aliases wasn't to make the standard name table more searchable.

I propose we need to provide a search facility that will look at the
description as well. The descriptions try to be helpful by listing common
synonyms. I will think about that.

Cheers

Jonathan