⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] omega

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:45:18 +0000

Dear Ag

Yes, omega is already and will remain an alias. Because data lasts for ever,
we will always have to retain previous standard names as aliases. The intention
of aliases isn't to provide other ways of indexing the standard names, however.
For that purpose, maybe we need to provide a search facility which would look
at the descriptions as well as the standard names. Then, for instance, if the
word "omega" appears in the description of lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure,
it would find it for you when you search on "omega".

In the earlier discussion, "omega" was decided to be too cryptic for those not
familiar with atmospheric dynamics.