⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of 'omega' in standard name list

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:45:06 +0000

Hi Folks

Sorry I'm slow on this ... but

> > I think "omega" as a stand-alone name should be made into an alias for
> > vertical_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_pressure.

For years I taught GFD where I defined omega as "vertical velocity in pressure
coordinates"

I don't believe there is any ambiguity in sign ... velocity in pressure
coordinates can only mean dp/dt ...

I find "expressed...tendency of pressure" to be clumsy ... and I wouldn't want
it on any plots where I used the standard name ...

Bryan