⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of 'omega' in standard name list

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:04:54 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

> Other similar instances are sigma as a vertical coordinate, and
> sigma-t and sigma-theta as ocean density minus 1000 kg m-3. These also are
> invariably used names, so to substitute a longer, though self-explanatory,
> phrase could possibly be confusing as well as inconvenient.

The standard names only use sigma in context, i.e.,
atmosphere_hybrid_sigma_pressure_coordinate
atmosphere_sigma_coordinate
ocean_sigma_coordinate
sea_water_sigma_t
sea_water_sigma_theta
upward_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_sigma

In the first three cases the definition is contained in appendix D, and the
names sea_water_sigma_* are defined in the "help" section. Only in the
last name is sigma currently left undefined, and this should be fixed so
that the help points out that sigma in that context refers to
atmosphere_sigma_coordinate.

> We have quantities which involve omega in a product. For instance, mpwapta
> is product_of_omega_and_air_temperature. I think that product_of_air_
> temperature_and_vertical_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_air_pressure
> is rather cumbersome. An advantage of omega is that it's short! I still vote
> to stick with omega at present.

I would also stick with the name product_of_omega_and_air_temperature. But
I think "omega" as a stand-alone name should be made into an alias for
vertical_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_pressure. And for
convenience the help for product_of_omega_and_air_temperature could note
that omega refers to vertical_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_pressure.

What do you think about contracting "expressed_as" to simply "as"?

Brian