⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of 'omega' in standard name list

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:34:42 +0000

Dear Karl and Brian

I would favour "vertical", like Brian, in
vertical_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_sigma.
The comment can point out that if Dsigma/Dt is negative, the velocity is
upward.

I note that in the PCMDI tables the quantity wap is described as "Vertical
motion (omega)", also acknowledging that omega is a common name for it.

We have quantities which involve omega in a product. For instance, mpwapta
is product_of_omega_and_air_temperature. I think that product_of_air_
temperature_and_vertical_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_air_pressure
is rather cumbersome. An advantage of omega is that it's short! I still vote
to stick with omega at present. Despite its not being self-explanatory, it
is precise and in common use.

Cheers

Jonathan