⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of 'omega' in standard name list

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:34:24 +0000

Dear Brian

You are right about the sign problem - thanks for pointing that out.

I am not convinced about renaming omega, though. It is *always* called omega,
isn't it? Other similar instances are sigma as a vertical coordinate, and
sigma-t and sigma-theta as ocean density minus 1000 kg m-3. These also are
invariably used names, so to substitute a longer, though self-explanatory,
phrase could possibly be confusing as well as inconvenient. I don't *like*
using such opaque names, but we do also try to follow common usage, don't we,
as in the use of "flux" for "flux density".