⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of 'omega' in standard name list

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:33:51 -0700

I agree with Ag. I don't think it's helpful to use symbols for physical
quantities. We do use symbols for mathematical quantities which seems
unavoidable. However,
upward_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_air_pressure has a sign
problem. "upward" means positive values are upward, but omega is negative
for upward motion. So the name should begin with "downward" which has the
correct sign, or "vertical" which doesn't specify the direction. I think
my preference would be "vertical".

The table also has the entry
upward_air_velocity_expressed_as_tendency_of_sigma which has the same sign
problem. In addition this name uses the term "sigma" which is not
explained in the "help". It would be helpful to have a comment that says
"sigma" refers to "atmosphere_sigma_coordinate".

As an aside, the term "expressed_as" probably should be included in the
"guidelines" doc.

Brian