⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] NCEP radiance quantities

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:29:11 +0000

Dear John

According to the version of the NCEP table I was using, 119 and 120 (LW and
SW radiance) are both in W m-2 sr-1. These are the correct units for radiance.
The definitions you have got there are for spectral radiance, and expressed
in different ways (either per m or per m-1) which, as you say, is inconsistent.
We don't currently have standard names for spectral radiance expressed per
m-1 but of course we could introduce them if required.

As with the other quantities you raised, I think we need to know what NCEP
actually produces with these GRIB codes. Do you have colleagues who can
find out?