⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:03:04 +0100

Dear John

Thanks for this. It will help to fill in some more of the private GRIB code
correspondences. I think we need a physical explanation from someone who knows
what the below are. I certainly wouldn't feel competent to write help for them
and they aren't in glossaries I have consulted. Are you in touch with an NCEP
expert?

Storm relative helicity
Convective inhibition
Best 4-layer lifted index
Parcel lifted index
Best lifted index
Surface wind gust

We already have specific CAPE in the standard name table. The categorical
ones must have implied thresholds, I suspect. How can we find that out? The
should probably be recorded as scalar coordinate variables.

best wishes

Jonathan