⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] UTM projections

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:06:44 -0600

Haaring, P.A. (MIA-RIKZ) wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> We would be most happy if this would be added.
> In the Netherlands we use it along our National grid.
> There is an additional problem we both use it based on the ED50 and
> the WGS84 ellipsoide.
> How would you code this into the metadata?
>
> Pieter Haaring
>
> Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management
> National Institute for Coastal and Marine Management (RIKZ)
> P.O. box 20907 / 2500 EX The Hague / The Netherlands
> Tel:+31703114570 Fax:+31703114321 Email: p.a.haaring at rikz.rws.minvenw.nl

It was my understanding that each UTM zone has a standard ellipsoid. I
am not sure if thats the case or not, does anyone know? In any case, it
appears that other ellipsoids are needed, so one should be able to
specify them, so we should allow an additional parameter, eg:

  zone="13S";

  ellipsoid="WGS84";

Issues:
  1. If there is standard ellipsoid for each zone, it would be nice if
the ellipsoid parameter could be optional, since many may not know what
to put there.
  2. We probably want a controlled set of ellipsoid names (?)
  3. It appears that one only needs to specify north or south
hemisphere, that one doesnt need the A-Z part. Anyone know if thats
really true?