⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Encoding Errors on variables in CF

From: John Evans <johnevans>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:17:55 +0000

I also agree with (1) and (4), and as I read it, it seems that Jonathan's
tentative suggestion removes the need for (3). And that would seem to
leave stating (2) as either

    wind_dir_uv_stddev:standard_name="wind_from_direction standard_error" ;

or Brian's preference of

    wind_dir_uv_stddev:standard_name="standard_error_of_wind_from_direction" ;

Is that correct? I would prefer the 1st just for the ease of parsing. I've
actually been doing the 2nd for a somewhat related purpose for a while, and
the parsing always became a mess, although I have to take the blame for that.

Jonathan, as to your previous query about "wind_direction_uv" and
"wind_direction_ve", I didn't explain "wind_direction_ve" very well.
It's a true vector average taking into account the wind strength for
the directional computation, rather than just a unit vector average.
As I understand it, NDBC reports the unit vector average as the
true wind direction (see "http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/wndav.shtml"), but we
measure both anyway. And to think that after doing this for a couple of
years, it's just now occured to me that my putting the "_uv" suffix for
"unit vector" on "wind_direction_uv" probably wasn't the brightest thing
to do for a directional quantity...