⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical Coordinate

From: Jonathan Gregory <jonathan.gregory>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:06:19 +0000

Dear Burkhardt

Is there any way to compute the P of the model levels from vertical coordinates
which are a function of lev only (like a and b) and some other fields which
are a function of (lon,lat,lev)? If so, we could define a new kind of vertical
coordinate, to add to those already in Appendix C.

If not, I agree that you *could* regard P(lon,lat,lev) as a kind of coordinate
and in fact we have had previous discussions about supporting this concept. But
in the end we decided that this is going too far away from pure metadata, into
the domain of scientific things that you know about the data. You know that if
T and P are functions of (lon,lat,lev), then you can associate T with P, but
mapping T onto P in this way is really a kind of scientific transformation of
the data, I think. To take another example, I suppose that specific humidity
q is also q(lon,lat,lev) in the model, so in principle you could regard q as
a coordinate for T. Formally there is no difference between q and P.

Does that help?