⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical Coordinate

From: Burkhardt.Rockel at gkss.de <Burkhardt.Rockel>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:09:29 +0100

Dear member of CF community,

we are using the non-hydrostatic weather forecast model of the German
Weather Service. The vertical coordinate used in hydrostatic models is
often defined as described in the CF-conventions (e.g. dimensionless sigma
or hybrid pressure-sigma coordinates). With given height dependent
coefficients (e.g. "a" and "b" ) and surface pressure field the pressure
at the vertical levels of the model can be computed. For the
non-hydrostatic model we are using its a bit more complicated since the
pressure at the model levels is P=Pref+Pdev, where Pref is the pressure
of a reference atmosphere and Pdev is the deviation from the reference
profile.
My Questions:
 Is there a CF conformal way to define a three-dimensional variable (in my
case P(lon,lat,lev)) as vertical axis?
I guess simply giving P the attribute "axis=Z" would be not sufficient?
Should a three dimensional variable like air temperature (T(lon,lat,lev))
have the attribute "coordinates="P" in this case?

Thank you, I am looking forward to your answer.

Burkhardt

Dr. Burkhardt Rockel
GKSS Forschungszentrum
Max-Planck-Strasse