⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] SIMIP: 5 standard names and one area type for CMIP6

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 13:41:23 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for commenting on these names. If I understand you correctly, then the two 'maximum' names and definitions would be rearranged as follows.

maximum_over_coordinate_rotation_of_sea_ice_horizontal_shear_strain_rate (s-1)
'"Sea ice" means all ice floating in the sea which has formed from freezing sea water, rather than by other processes such as calving of land ice to form icebergs. Axial strain is the symmetric component of the tensor representing the gradient of internal forces (e.g. in ice). Strain rate refers to off-diagonal element(s) of the strain tensor (a single element for horizontal shear strain). "Horizontal" refers to the local horizontal in the location of the sea ice, i.e., perpendicular to the local gravity vector. Each of the strain components is defined with respect to a frame of reference. "Coordinate rotation" refers to the range of all possible orientations of the frame of reference. The shear strain has a maximum value relative to one of these orientations. The second invariant of strain rate, often referred to as the maximum shear strain [rate], is the maximum over coordinate rotations of the shear strain rate.'

maximum_over_coordinate_rotation_of_sea_ice_horizontal_shear_stress (N m-1)
' "Sea ice" means all ice floating in the sea which has formed from freezing sea water, rather than by other processes such as calving of land ice to form icebergs. Axial stress is the symmetric component of the tensor representing the gradient of internal forces (e.g. in ice). Shear stress refers to off-diagonal element(s) of the stress tensor (a single element for horizontal shear stress). "Horizontal" refers to the local horizontal in the location of the sea ice, i.e., perpendicular to the local gravity vector. Each of the stress components is defined with respect to a frame of reference. "Coordinate rotation" refers to the range of all possible orientations of the frame of reference. The shear stress has a maximum value relative to one of these orientations. The second invariant of stress, often referred to as the maximum shear stress, is the maximum over coordinate rotations of the shear stress.'

I tend to agree that these are a little easier to understand at first sight. I'm happy to write the names and definitions this way, if Dirk and Bruno have no objections.

N.B. I have added 'Axial' to the start of the second sentence of the definitions and replaced 'stress' with 'strain' for the first definition, as requested by Dirk.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065