⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Final 17 terms for CMIP6 LS3MIP.

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:32:56 +0100

Dear Alison and Martin

> 3.1 hfrs Heat transferred to snowpack by rainfall [W m-2]
>
> Martin has suggested the following:
> surface_downward_sensible_heat_flux_due_to_rainfall_temperature_anomaly
> The rainfall temperature anomaly is the temperature of the snow relative to the zero Celsius. The sensible heat flux due the rainfall temperature anomaly is the product of three terms: the rainfall mass flux, the specific heat capacity of the rain and the temperature anomaly.
>
> I certainly prefer this term to having a temperature flux! We define 'anomaly' in existing names as follows: 'The term "anomaly" means difference from climatology' so I think it would be misleading to use the same term here. We have one existing name that refers to a temperature 'excess' -
> integral_wrt_time_of_air_temperature_excess where excess is calculated relative to a threshold specified in a coordinate variable. Perhaps we could call this quantity:
> surface_downward_sensible_heat_flux_due_to_rainfall_temperature_excess_above_freezing

I like excess_above_freezing (if that's what is needed). I'm still not
comfortable with calling this "sensible heat", owing to that term *usually*
meaning turbulent fluxes in air. Maybe "sensible" could just be omitted? In
view of the due_to this couldn't be misinterpreted as a latent or radiative
heat flux, I'd say.

> 5. Regarding the river transport names, I did in fact publish them in Version 55 of the standard name table as river_water_volume_transport_into_cell and river_water_volume_transport_out_of_cell, so if we now decide on one of the other options we will need to create aliases. I don't have very strong feelings about any of the variations that have been put forward, but if we are to avoid the mention of cells then perhaps we could have:
> inward_water_volume_transport_within_river_channel
> outward_water_volume_transport_within_river_channel
> i.e. saying 'within' channel so that people won't mistake it for flow into or out of the channel itself. This is also very general because it avoids assumptions about what is upstream or downstream.

OK. Rather than "within" you could say "along", perhaps, or more explicitly
it could be "incoming transport from river channel" and "outgoing transport
to river channel". We use incoming/outgoing for TOA radiation.