⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] SIMIP: 5 standard names and one area type for CMIP6

From: Dirk Notz <dirk.notz>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:08:28 +0200

Dear Alison,

just a few minor replies:

> Thank you, Dirk, for providing a better definition of sea ice. I've taken your sentence and added a little more, in the hope of making the intention as clear as possible: ' "Sea ice" means all ice floating in the sea which has formed from freezing sea water, rather than by other processes such as calving of land ice to form icebergs.' Is that okay?

Yes, this is fine with me.

> 1.14 Martin suggested, and we are now agreed, that this one should be:
> tendency_of_surface_snow_amount_due_to_drifting_into_sea (kg m-2)
> ' The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Amount" means mass per unit area. The phrase "surface_snow" means snow lying on the surface. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. The quantity with standard name tendency_of_surface_snow_amount_due_to_drifting is the rate of change of snow amount caused by wind drift of snow into the sea. The snow is assumed to melt as soon as it enters the sea.'

I recommend to drop the last sentence. Models don't have to melt the
snow as it enters the sea, though currently all I'm aware of do so.

> water_flux_into_sea_water_from_sea_ice_due_to_surface_drainage (kg m-2 s-1)
> 'The water flux into the ocean is the freshwater entering the sea water as a result of precipitation, evaporation, river inflow, sea ice effects and water flux correction (if applied). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Surface drainage" refers to all water melting at the sea ice surface and subsequently running into the sea.'
>
> Is this okay?

Almost :-) The phrase "all water melting at the sea ice surface" is a
bit odd, I find. I'd prefer something like "refers to all melt water
forming at the sea ice surface and subsequently running into the sea".

Thank you very much!

 Dirk