⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] tendency_of_sea_water_conservative_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content units

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 06:42:04 +0000

Dear Martin, Stephen and Jonathan,

We have seven existing tendency_of_sea_water_conservative_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content names (and seven existing tendency_of_sea_water_potential_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content names)all with units of W m-2. I think all of these were introduced for OMIP.

If something is described as a 'heat content' I would expect it to have units of J m-2. Indeed that is the case for the two existing names
integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_ice_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content and integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_water_potential_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content. Calculating tendencies of such quantities would then give us units of W m-2. This suggests to me that the OMIP names should all follow the pattern:
tendency_of_integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_water_X_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content
where X is 'potential' or 'conservative'. The bounds of the vertical coordinate variable should give the limits on the integral for each grid cell.

Does this pattern of writing the names match the method of calculating the quantities (i.e. the tendency of the integral, rather than the integral of the tendency?)

We can of course create aliases to correct the names once we have agreed on what changes are needed.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065