⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] tendency_of_sea_water_conservative_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content units

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 13:58:16 +0000

Dear Jonathan, Stephen, Karl,

I'm puzzled by the units of the CMIP6 variable ocontemptend and teh associated standard name tendency_of_sea_water_conservative_temperature_expressed_as_heat_content -- in the data request and the standard name table respectively with units "W m-2". This is consistent with the Griffies et al 2016 paper on ocean diagnostics and with the discussion on the CF mailing list. However, it is requested as a function of depth, so I would expect to see units of "W m-3" for the tendency of a heat density.

The units "W m-2" are usually used for a surface heat flux. There are a number of variables related to ocontemptend with the same units.

Am I missing something, or should we change the units or the depth dependency?

regards,

Martin