⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Final 17 terms for CMIP6 LS3MIP.

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 06:47:38 +0000

Dear Karl, Jonathan,

thank you, these are very relevant comments. I'm afraid I still can't find Jonathan's comments from Tuesday --- the email doesn't appear with the other mails of the thread in the list archives where I usually go to trace exchanges back.

Jonathan makes a good point about the usage of "assuming": I introduced the term into the thread, copying it from the existing help text for "soil_albedo", and Alison referred to terms which use "assuming" in the standard name. As Jonathan says, there is a very specific interpretation when "assuming" is used in a standard name, so perhaps the soil_albedo help text should be modified to avoid confusion. "soil_albedo" could, I think, be replaced by surface albedo with area type bare_soil.

Responding to Karl's comments:

(1) I had missed the fact that the CMIP5 evaporation variable, evs, adopted the broadest possible interpretation of the term. I agree that we should preserve this interpretation and that the proposed new variable for evapotranspiration is redundant. The fact that evs includes sublimation and transpiration is made clear in the CMIP5 variable tables, but the standard name water_evaporation_flux does not make any reference to the precise meaning of evaporation. The AMS glossary says that "Evaporation is usually restricted in use to the change of water from liquid to gas": this does not rule out the possibility of using it in the broader sense, but it does suggest that there is liable to be confusion if we use the word without further clarification. I suggest introducing water_evapotranspiration_flux or water_total_evaporation_flux and demoting water_evaporation_flux to an alias, and also adding some explanatory text "Evapotranspiration/Total evaporation refers to all water vapor fluxes from the surface: liquid
evaporation, sublimation and transpiration".

(2)

water_evaporation_flux_from_canopy_due_to_interception (kg m-2 s-1)

This may be obscure, and you are right to raise concerns about the precise meaning of "canopy" as opposed to vegetation. There are a number of terms related to water held on the "canopy". My understanding is that the terminology comes from analysis of precipitation which lands on trees and is held away from the surface. The models are beginning to differentiate between water which falls directly on the surface and water held in the tree canopy.

We have an existing standard name canopy_height with the descriptive text: '"Canopy" means the plant or vegetation canopy', and this name is used with a CMIP6 variable for vegetation height and also for a specific variable for vegetation height in natural grasslands (with the area type natural_grasses). To my mind this usage (i.e. referring to the grass "canopy"), but it follows the CMIP5 usage in variables such as prveg (Precipitation onto Canopy: precipitation_flux_onto_canopy). It is also consistent with AMS, which considers canopy to be "The vegetative covering over a surface", but also references an alternative usage as the upper portion of the vegetation.

There are 11 CF standard names referring to the canopy, including water_evaporation_flux_from_canopy. Following the discussion of "water_evaporation_flux", the term "water_evaporation_flux_from_canopy" should include transpiration as well as evaporation/sublimation from any water sitting on the vegetation. The water sitting on the vegetation is referred to as intercepted, and it is the evaporation/sublimation of this intercepted water that is of interest here. LS3MIP will also be using the CMIP5 variable "ec" which gives the transpiration flux. There is an existing term canopy_water_amount to refer to this intercepted water, so perhaps it would be better to say: water_evaporation_flux_from_canopy_water.

For the term canopy_water_amount, I think there is a real distinction between canopy and vegetation: canopy is referring to the above ground portion of the vegetation. The descriptive text could be clarified, but I think there is a case for retaining the term.

(3) These are good points. I am also unfamiliar with the history of the term temperature_flux_due_to_rainfall_expressed_as_heat_flux_into_sea_water --- the term we want here appears to be a close relative of that term, but I'm happy to consider other formulation.

Because this is a heat flux across a surface I would prefer the form "heat_flux_into_..." rather than "tendency_of_..._temperature_..._due_to_...", because the boundary flux is not a term in a temperature tendency equation.

I have responded to comments from Alison on the best way to refer to the body of snow and ice on land which is the recipient of the heat here -- my last suggestion was "snow_and_ice_on_land", but that discussion is still open. Here, we could use "heat_flux_into_snow_and_ice_on_land_due_to_rainfall".

(4) On reflection it may be clearer to say surface_upward_latent_heat_flux_due_to_sublimation, where it is clear that sublimation is a process and latent heat flux is a standard term.

regards,
Martin