⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Precipitation fractions for LS3MIP

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 09:03:03 -0700

Hi all,

I think in common usage? "mass fraction" is the ratio of the mass of a
particular species to the total mass of all species combined (e.g., the
mass fraction of oxygen molecules in air).? For the variable considered
here, the fraction refers to the ratio of the mass of as particular
"species"? (e.g., rain) that falls on a particular surface (e.g.,
surface snow).? This is enough different from the standard usage that I
think it would be wise to avoid "mass fraction" in the standard name;
thus, the suggestion:

fraction_of_rainfall_mass_falling_onto_surface_snow

Using "mass_fraction" here might lead some to wrongly jump to an
interpretation that this had something to do with the fraction of
precipitation that was falling as rain.

best regards,
Karl