⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Precipitation fractions for LS3MIP

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 09:45:22 -0700

Hi Jonathan and Martin,

I agree, rainfall and snowfall are better because they are more
explicit. I guess precipitation by itself is already clear.

"onto" instead of "on" would also be less prone to misinterpretation as
would be using "surface_snow" in place of "snow".

As for the meaning, I interpreted it as you did in terms of the fraction
of falling mass deposited onto the snow-covered portion of the grid cell.

I think of snowfall "amount" and "rainfall" amount as answering the
question "how much snow (rain) did we get yesterday?".? The answer is
usually expressed in terms of a depth measure (e.g., "cm"), not mass.?
Interpreted in this way, it would be confusing to say

fraction_of_snowfall_amount_falling_onto_surface_snow

because it might suggest that this is the "fraction_of_snowfall_depth_falling_onto_surface_snow, which isn't what we mean.

So, I would favor

fraction_of_precipitation/rainfall/snowfall_mass_falling_onto_surface_snow

best regards,
Karl