⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Precipitation fractions for LS3MIP

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:56:43 +0000

Hello All,

There are two LS3MIP variables for fractions of precipitation onto snow: fraction of rainfall on snow and fraction of snowfall on snow. In both cases the fraction is calculated as the mass of precipitation falling on snow divided by the total mass of precipitation in the grid cell.

Since we are dealing with mass, the term should start from precipitation_amount and snowfall_amount.

We have terms like lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount to describe properties of the precipitation amount, and we have precipitation_flux_onto_canopy do describe a flux onto a particular surface, so I propose:

fraction_of_precipitation_amount_onto_snow and

fraction_of_snowfall_amount_onto_snow, both with units '1',

regards,

Martin