⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] SIMIP: 5 standard names and one area type for CMIP6

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 08:54:54 +0000

Dear All,

following some feedback from Bruno Tremblay, on behalf of SIMIP, I'd like to modify the standard names proposed for sea ice stress and strain invariants last month (25th April).

The proposed terms are refer to the first and second invariants of the horizontal stress and rate of strain tensors in the sea ice. I had not appreciated that the terms "first invariant" and "second invariant" are rather more flexible than we want for a standard name. The fist invariant, for instance, is sometimes represented by the trace of the tensor, and sometime by half the trace. These two quantities clearly carry the same information, but we need to know which one. In the SIMIP request they want half the trace of the stress tensor, because that is the form most commonly used in the sea ice community. This quantity is generally referred to as the "average normal stress" (the normal stress terms being the two diagonal elements of the stress tensor).

Similarly, the second invariants requested are not, as I had assumed, the effective stress/rate of strain (which is the square root of the determinant) but the "maximum shear stress/rate of strain", which is the maximum value of the off-diagonal tensor element, maximized over all coordinate rotations. At first I thought this was a completely different quantity, but, following Bruno's patient explanations, I now understand that it is related to the first invariant and the determinant by a simple algebraic equation, and hence represents the 2nd invariant just as well as the determinant or effective stress.

We only have requests for terms related to the horizontal stress/rate of strain, but I feel that the standard names should be explicit about this restriction to the horizontal plane, to avoid ambiguity.

Taking this into account, I'd like to propose the following modified names:

(3a) sishevel Maximum shear strain rate of sea-ice velocity field (s-1)

Maximum shear strain rate of sea-ice velocity field (second shear strain invariant: maximum is taken over coordinate rotations)

sea_ice_horizontal_shear_strain_rate_maximum_over_coordinate_rotation
Help text: "Stress is the symmetric component of the tensor representing the gradient of internal forces (e.g. in ice). Shear stress refers to off-diagonal element(s) of the stress tensor (a single element for horizontal shear stress). The maximum over coordinate rotations of the shear strain rate, often referred to as the maximum shear strain [rate], represents the second invariant of strain rate."

(3b) sistremax Maximum shear stress in sea ice (N m-1)
Maximum shear stress in sea ice (second stress invariant)

sea_ice_horizontal_shear_stress_maximum_over_coordinate_rotation

Help text: "Stress is the symmetric component of the tensor representing the gradient of internal forces (e.g. in ice). Shear stress refers to off-diagonal element(s) of the stress tensor (a single element for horizontal shear stress). The maximum over coordinate rotations of the shear stress, often referred to as the maximum shear stress, represents the second invariant of stress."

(3c) sistresave Average normal stress in sea ice (N m-1)
Average normal stress in sea ice (first stress invariant: average of diagonal elements of the stress tensor)

sea_ice_average_normal_horizontal_stress
Help text: "Stress is the symmetric component of the tensor representing the gradient of internal forces (e.g. in ice). Horizontal stress refers to the stress in the horizontal plane. Average normal stress refers to the average of the diagonal elements of the stress tensor and represents the first invariant of stress."

regards,

Martin