⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for Dynvar

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 16:10:19 +0000

Dear Jonathan and Elisa,

Thank you, Jonathan, for commenting on the standard names proposed for Dynvar. I have followed your suggestion and added a definition for "boundary_layer_mixing": ' "Boundary layer mixing" means turbulent motions that transport heat, water, momentum and chemical constituents within the atmospheric boundary layer and affect exchanges between the surface and the atmosphere. The atmospheric boundary layer is typically characterised by a well-mixed sub-cloud layer of order 500 metres, and by a more extended conditionally unstable layer with boundary-layer clouds up to 2 km. (Reference: IPCC Third Assessment Report, Working Group 1: The Scientific Basis, 7.2.2.3, https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/273.htm).' I have also removed the unnecessary 'the' from the Eulerian mean advection names, as you suggest.

No other comments have been received regarding these names, so they are now accepted and will be included in this week's standard name table update. Unless anyone objects, I will also add the boundary layer mixing definition to the 8 existing names at the next update.

The Dynvar names are listed in full below.

Best wishes,
Alison

northward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity (m s-1)
' "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). The "Transformed Eulerian Mean" refers to a formulation of the mean equations which incorporates some eddy terms into the definition of the mean, described in Andrews et al (1987): Middle Atmospheric Dynamics. Academic Press.'

eastward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity (m s-1)
' "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). The "Transformed Eulerian Mean" refers to a formulation of the mean equations which incorporates some eddy terms into the definition of the mean, described in Andrews et al (1987): Middle Atmospheric Dynamics. Academic Press.'

upward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity (m s-1)
'A velocity is a vector quantity. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). Upward air velocity is the vertical component of the 3D air velocity vector. The "Transformed Eulerian Mean" refers to a formulation of the mean equations which incorporates some eddy terms into the definition of the mean, described in Andrews et al (1987): Middle Atmospheric Dynamics. Academic Press.'

atmosphere_transformed_eulerian_mean_meridional_overturning_mass_streamfunction (kg s-1)
'The "meridional mass streamfunction" is a streamfunction of the zonally averaged mass transport in the meridional plane. The "Transformed Eulerian Mean" refers to a formulation of the mean equations which incorporates some eddy terms into the definition of the mean, described in Andrews et al (1987): Middle Atmospheric Dynamics. Academic Press.'

tendency_of_eastward_wind_due_to_advection_by_northward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity (m s-2)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name "upward_air_velocity"). The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. The "Transformed Eulerian Mean" refers to a formulation of the mean equations which incorporates some eddy terms into the definition of the mean, described in Andrews et al (1987): Middle Atmospheric Dynamics. Academic Press.'

tendency_of_eastward_wind_due_to_advection_by_upward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity (m s-2)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name "upward_air_velocity"). The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. The "Transformed Eulerian Mean" refers to a formulation of the mean equations which incorporates some eddy terms into the definition of the mean, described in Andrews et al (1987): Middle Atmospheric Dynamics. Academic Press.'

tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_gravity_wave_drag (m s-2)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name upward_air_velocity). The specification of a physical process by the phrase due_to_process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. The quantity with standard name tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_gravity_wave_drag is the total tendency of the northward wind due to gravity waves. It is the sum of the tendencies due to orographic and nonorographic gravity waves which have the standard names tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_orographic_gravity_wave_drag and tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_nonorographic_gravity_wave_drag, respectively.'

tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_orographic_gravity_wave_drag (m s-2)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name "upward_air_velocity"). The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Orographic gravity waves" refer to gravity waves which are generated by flow over orography. The quantity with standard name tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_gravity_wave_drag is the total tendency of the northward wind due to gravity waves. It is the sum of the tendencies due to orographic and nonorographic gravity waves which have the standard names tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_orographic_gravity_wave_drag and tendency_of_northward_wind_due_t
o_nonorographic_gravity_wave_drag, respectively.'

tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_nonorographic_gravity_wave_drag (m s-2)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name "upward_air_velocity"). The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Nonorographic" gravity waves refer to gravity waves which are not generated by flow over orography. The quantity with standard name tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_gravity_wave_drag is the total tendency of the northward wind due to gravity waves. It is the sum of the tendencies due to orographic and nonorographic gravity waves which have the standard names tendency_of_northward_wind_due_to_orographic_gravity_wave_drag and tendency_of_northward_win
d_due_to_nonorographic_gravity_wave_drag, respectively.'

surface_downward_northward_stress_due_to_boundary_layer_mixing (Pa)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed downward (negative upward). "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). Downward northward" indicates the ZY component of a tensor. A downward northward stress is a downward flux of northward momentum, which accelerates the lower medium northward and the upper medium southward. The surface downward stress is the wind stress on the surface. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Boundary layer mixing" means turbulent motions that transport heat, water, momentum and chemical constituents within the atmospheric boundary layer and affect exchanges between the surface and the atmosphere. The atmospheric boundary layer is typically character
ised by a well-mixed sub-cloud layer of order 500 metres, and by a more extended conditionally unstable layer with boundary-layer clouds up to 2 km. (Reference: IPCC Third Assessment Report, Working Group 1: The Scientific Basis, 7.2.2.3, https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/273.htm).'

surface_downward_eastward_stress_due_to_boundary_layer_mixing (Pa)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed downward (negative upward). "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). "Downward eastward" indicates the ZX component of a tensor. A downward eastward stress is a downward flux of eastward momentum, which accelerates the lower medium eastward and the upper medium westward. The surface downward stress is the wind stress on the surface. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Boundary layer mixing" means turbulent motions that transport heat, water, momentum and chemical constituents within the atmospheric boundary layer and affect exchanges between the surface and the atmosphere. The atmospheric boundary layer is typically characterised by
 a well-mixed sub-cloud layer of order 500 metres, and by a more extended conditionally unstable layer with boundary-layer clouds up to 2 km. (Reference: IPCC Third Assessment Report, Working Group 1: The Scientific Basis, 7.2.2.3, https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/273.htm).'

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_dissipation_of_orographic_gravity_waves (K s-1)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. Air temperature is the bulk temperature of the air, not the surface (skin) temperature. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Orographic gravity waves" refer to gravity waves which are generated by flow over orography. The dissipation of gravity waves generates heating through an eddy heat flux convergence and through a viscous stress term.'

tendency_of_air_temperature_due_to_dissipation_of_nonorographic_gravity_waves (K s-1)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. Air temperature is the bulk temperature of the air, not the surface (skin) temperature. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Nonorographic" gravity waves refer to gravity waves which are not generated by flow over orography. The dissipation of gravity waves generates heating through an eddy heat flux convergence and through a viscous stress term.'

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Archival Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory