⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to store multi-byte characters in station labels

From: Bert Jagers <Bert.Jagers>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:22:41 +0000

Dear all,

We are trying to improve the support for foreign languages in our software.
In that context we are hitting the problem of storing multi-byte characters in NetCDF files for e.g. station names.

I've tried to search the archive of this group for statements about this topic. I've found a mail thread of early last concerning Pre-proposal for "charset" that touched upon this topic, but this proposal was in the end withdrawn. I haven't found anything beyond this.

I expect that I have to start using NetCDF4 one-dimensional string variables with _Encoding = 'UTF-8' for label/id dimensions (e.g. timeseries_id).
Unfortunately this would be officially incompatible with current CF conventions.

Any plans for adopting this in CF-2.0?
Does anyone have experience with this?
Any recommendations?

Best regards,

Bert
DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.